Proper Dental Hygiene Offers Short-Term and Long-Term Benefits
Taking good care of your mouth, teeth, and gums is well worth the investment of time and effort. Regular and proper oral and dental hygiene helps prevent unwanted and unpleasant situations such as bad breath, tooth decay, and gum disease.
From a long-term perspective, effective dental hygiene will also help you retain your natural teeth; since gum disease is regarded to be the main reason for teeth loss, the prevention of this condition through routine dental hygiene and care will be a significant factor in having a healthy mouth for as long as possible.
At Family Dental Care, we believe that proper dental hygiene includes two very important elements, and that both must be carried out on a consistent basis. These are:
- Routine dental check-ups
- Good at-home oral hygiene
Your routine dental check-ups or exams provide opportunities for the Family Dental Care team to assess the following and discuss them with you if/as necessary:
- Overall oral health
- Early detection of dental problems
- Prevention of gum disease
- Potential nutrition issues
- Teeth and jaw alignment
- Your oral hygiene practices
In relation to your at-home care, good dental hygiene practices will consist of:
- Brushing for two to three minutes, at least twice a day
- Daily flossing to clean places that toothbrushes cannot reach
- Dental products (toothpaste, mouthwash) that contain fluoride
- Replacing your toothbrush every three to four months, or sooner
- A healthy diet, including Vitamins A and C to prevent gum disease
- Regulating or avoiding sugar intake; limiting snacks between meals
- Avoiding smoking and smokeless tobacco (contributors to oral cancer)
The importance of regular dental hygiene, through routine check-ups and at-home care, cannot be overstated. By investing time and effort in caring for your mouth, teeth, and gums, you can avoid unnecessary and expensive dental treatments and enjoy the benefits of having a healthy mouth and the retention of your natural teeth.
Signs of Good Dental Hygiene
During your routine check-ups, our Family Dental Care doctors and hygienists can provide feedback on the overall health of your mouth, teeth, and gums, and make suggestions if/as needed about maintaining or improving your dental hygiene. But there are also ways that you can assess this on your own between visits to our office.
Good oral and dental hygiene practices on a daily basis will help keep your mouth looking clean and healthy. Some positive signs of good oral hygiene will include:
- Teeth are clean and free of plaque
- Gums are consistently pink in colour
- Bad breath is not a constant issue or problem
- Gums do not hurt or bleed when brushing/flossing
Good dental hygiene includes routine check-ups and consistent at-home practices on a daily basis. Call Family Dental Care today at 613-736-5000 or contact us to book a dental check-up and a consultation on good oral hygiene habits.