The Majority of Tooth Extractions are Simple and Painless Procedures
At Family Dental Care, we are proud of our expertise in saving teeth and preventing tooth loss.
Our dedicated team places significant emphasis on preventative dentistry as a means of providing the following benefits for our patients:
- Avoiding complicated procedures
- Preventing unnecessary expenses
- Retaining your natural teeth
- Having a healthy mouth/smile
However, despite our best efforts and those of our patients, there will be situations in which tooth extraction is necessary.
This is the branch of dentistry known as oral surgery and the most common reasons for taking such action are usually related to:
- Tooth decay
- Gum disease
- Impacted teeth
- Dental trauma
- Crowded teeth
In the vast majority of cases, teeth extractions can be done routinely and painlessly right in the dentist’s office, due to advancements in anaesthesia and technology/equipment as well as the skills of trained professionals like Dr. Vineet Sidhu of Family Dental Care. When an extraction is necessary, Dr. Sidhu and her team will take great care to ensure that patients are made as comfortable as possible before, during, and after the procedure.
There Are Several Reasons Why Impacted Wisdom Teeth Should Be Removed
In essence, wisdom teeth need to be removed because they can cause the following dental problems:
- Difficulty in keeping the area clean, leading to bad breath and swollen gums.
- Periodontal disease with bone loss around neighbouring teeth.
- They are sometimes positioned against the neighbouring teeth at a distorted angle, making those teeth susceptible to cavities below the gum line – these cavities are difficult to treat and root canal treatment or tooth extraction may be required
- Some cysts or tumors can form around impacted wisdom teeth
These types of situations can be prevented by timely detection and removal of an impacted wisdom tooth.
Sometimes, due to the complex anatomy of some teeth, more detailed oral surgery may be needed. This is often the case when teeth become impacted, or wedged, between the gums and the jawbone; such circumstances are commonly associated with wisdom teeth, usually in people between the ages of 18 and 30 years, but this can also occur with other teeth.
There are several reasons supporting the extraction of impacted wisdom teeth; if the teeth are not removed, patients can/will experience the following issues:
- Pain and swelling
- Infection of the gum tissue
- Permanent damage to nearby teeth, gum, and bone
- Formation of cysts that can ultimately damage the jaw
Therefore, if and when you have impacted wisdom teeth and they are either causing dental problems in that area of the mouth or there is a high probability of causing problems, they may have to be extracted. The majority of these procedures can be done in the Family Dental Care office. Dr. Sidhu offers more than 20 years of surgical experience in tooth extractions and therefore only the most challenging of cases will need to be referred to an oral surgeon.
If you are experiencing dental pain and/or swollen gums, you may need to have a damaged or impacted tooth extracted. A majority of oral surgery can now be performed in a dentist’s office; call Family Dental Care at 613-736-5000 or contact us to book an assessment as soon as possible to determine the right course of treatment to relieve your discomfort.