Having discoloured or yellow teeth often creates an impression that you don’t care about yourself. Most individuals use whitening paste and white strips as a part of their oral care to solve the problem. Some people also prefer cosmetic dentistry services such as teeth whitening.
Before discussing the ways to brighten your teeth, let us take a look at the reasons why teeth become discoloured in the first place.
What Causes Teeth to Become Yellow?
- Consuming foods or drinks such as tea and coffee can stain your enamel, which is the outer layer of your teeth.
- Dental erosion causes the dentin, the layer below the enamel, to become more visible.
- Smoking cigarettes regularly can reduce the brightness of your teeth.
- Aging also leads to the erosion of the enamel.
- Certain medications and antibiotics cause discolouration of the teeth.
- Genetic factors can make your teeth appear dull.
6 Natural Ways for Teeth Whitening
The dentists from our clinic have put together a list of useful tips to help you get rid of yellow teeth naturally.
Try Oil Pulling
Oil pulling involves swishing sesame, coconut, or sunflower oil around in your mouth for 15 to 20 minutes every day as a part of your dental care routine. Studies show that it can improve your oral health by reducing bacteria and plaque in your mouth.
Brush Your Teeth with Baking Soda
Baking soda has natural teeth whitening properties. It is a mild abrasive that can help you scrub away the stains on your teeth and reduce bacteria in your mouth. Mix one teaspoon of baking soda with two teaspoons of water to form a paste and use it to brush your teeth a few times a week.
Use Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar contains acetic acid that helps to kill bacteria and whiten your teeth. Dilute it with water to use it as a mouthwash. It helps to swish it around in your mouth for several minutes and rinse thoroughly with water afterward. Overuse of apple cider vinegar can soften your teeth, which is why you must limit its use to 2-3 times a week.
Use Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is a natural bleaching element that can kill the bacteria in your mouth. It helps to use it is as a mouthwash before brushing your teeth. Ensure that it is a diluted solution containing 1.5% to 3% of hydrogen peroxide. Alternatively, you could also mix two teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide with one teaspoon of baking soda and use the paste to clean your teeth a few times a week.
Prevent Tooth Stains
There are a few things that you could do to avoid staining your teeth:
- Reduce the consumption of sugar – Consuming sugar in excessive quantities results in the build-up of plaque and bacteria in your mouth, causing tooth discolouration.
- Limit the consumption of staining foods and beverages – It helps to reduce your intake of dark berries, soda, coffee, and red wine that can stain your teeth.
- Increase the Calcium in Your Diet – To prevent enamel erosion, you can consume calcium-rich foods such as broccoli, milk, and cheese.
- Quit Smoking – Avoid chewing or smoking tobacco to prevent tooth discolouration.
Brushing and Flossing
Your teeth tend to become yellow mostly because of plaque build-up, which is why it helps to brush and floss your teeth twice a day daily.
We Provide the Best Cosmetic Dentistry Services in Ottawa
At Family Dental Care Clinic, we care about our patients and offer solutions to improve their oral health. We have qualified dentists to provide cosmetic dentistry services such as teeth whitening in Ottawa.