Your teeth may get discoloured or stained for several reasons, and there are a variety of options available for teeth whitening. It helps to visit your dentist to get rid of the stains by using safe whitening treatments that provide long-lasting results.
Before discussing the options, let us take a look at why teeth become discoloured in the first place.
What Causes Tooth Discolouration?
Several things can stain your teeth and make them look discoloured. The colour of your teeth mostly depends on the thickness and health of the enamel. If it gets eroded, the yellow layer beneath the enamel, known as the dentin, gets exposed, changing the appearance. Tooth discolouration is of two types:
- Intrinsic Discoloration
These stains occur from within your teeth. They may be due to the intake of certain medicines, infection, ageing, or tooth trauma. You may have to consult a professional to treat intrinsic discolouration.
- Extrinsic Discoloration
Foods and beverages such as wine, coffee, tea, and more contribute to this type of tooth stains. You can treat them by using a special whitening toothpaste.
Different Teeth Whitening Options
The treatment option for stained teeth depends on the following factors:
- Type of tooth discolouration
- Your age
- Your dental records, including crowns and fillings
- The cost of the treatment
Professional Teeth Whitening
Your dentist may use many different methods to whiten your teeth.
- In-Office Teeth Whitening Treatment
Applying teeth whitening products with the help of a professional works quickly and provides long-lasting results when compared to other procedures. They may use a higher proportion of hydrogen peroxide in the products. It takes around an hour and a few quick visits to your dental clinic to get the results you desire.
- At-Home Teeth Whitening Treatment with Your Dentist’s Help
You can whiten your teeth at home by asking your dentist to make custom-fit trays. You will have to add a gel to it and wear the tray for around half an hour to an hour a day for a few weeks.
Maintaining the Results of Teeth Whitening
After undergoing professional treatment to get rid of the stains on your teeth, it is essential to maintain the results. It helps to keep in mind the following:
- Your drinking and eating habits, as well as oral hygiene routine, may have an impact on the duration of your teeth whitening results.
- Your teeth are susceptible to staining from the consumption of certain foods and beverages even after undergoing treatment.
- Brush your teeth and rinse your mouth after eating or drinking to keep plaque from building up.
- Follow your dentist’s instructions correctly.
Call Us for Teeth Whitening Service in Ottawa
At Family Dental Care Clinic, we have qualified dentists that offer reliable solutions to your dental problems. We have a friendly and efficient team of professionals to help you come up with the most suitable treatment. We use safe teeth whitening products and practices to offer you the desired results.